Fleet inefficiencies can come in many forms. Real-time asset visibility, such as vehicle tracking data, can clearly reflect many of these inefficiencies, so they can be addressed. Real-time fleet tracking data can increase fleet productivity and lower fuel costs within a matter of weeks, in addition to lowering operational costs, reducing emissions, and intercepting vehicle theft.
Traditionally, vehicle tracking technology needed an aftermarket telematics hardware component to collect vehicle data. It was typically achieved by installing a proprietary aftermarket hardware, such as an OBD dongle or a black box. Black-box aftermarket devices require professional installation, have add-on connectivity costs, and may be tampered with. In contrast, OBDs dongles can be easily fitted into the OBD port by the driver and thus easily removed, but are usually removed in the workshop while getting serviced, thus have to be re-fitted after each service. The logistics of such aftermarket devices continue throughout maintenance and repairs that may require the removal and reinstallation after every servicing event. It should be noted, as more vehicles leave the factory already equipped with an embedded telematics device, this barrier is diminishing.
Embedded vehicle data simplifies fleet connectivity, saving the need for an aftermarket hardware component to capture vehicle tracking data.
Fleets of all types and sizes experience the significant benefits of vehicle tracking data.
Here are 5 incentives for using embedded vehicle tracking data in fleets.
|5 Ways to Boost Productivity With Vehicle Tracking Data|
|1||Better Visibility and Efficiency||Gain valuable data about multiple factors that influence fleet efficiency.|
|2||Cutting Expenses and Labor||Achieve increased visibility and control over the fleet productivity and automation of processes that are key to cutting time and costs.|
|3||Instant Detection of Improper Use and Fraud||Detect and eliminate wasteful and unauthorized usage of vehicles.|
|4||Stolen Vehicle Recovery||Provides valuable information to the authorities in case of theft.|
|5||Compliance Automation||Maintain automate logbooks to provide effortless reports and ensure compliance.|
Better Visibility and Efficiency
Getting accurate vehicle information enables fleet management companies to be on top of fleet performance at any time, while offering on-time information on vehicle movement and goods delivery. Connected vehicle tracking offers valuable data about multiple factors that influence fleet efficiency and includes:
- On-time schedule adjustments to accommodate change requirements
- Better predictability by providing customers with real-time tracking information and an accurate delivery times
- Informed business decisions regarding vehicle utilization, such as miles driven, days utilized, peak usage and average usage
- Improved utilization that avoids wasting or underusing of certain assets
- Better route planning by detecting which routes are more fuel efficient and which routes need to be optimized
- Excessive idling identification and prevention to reduce fuel consumption and maintenance costs
- Keeping track of working hours
Cutting Expenses and Labor
Time equals money, this is especially true for fleets. Embedded vehicle tracking data offers better visibility and control over the fleet productivity and automation of processes that are key to cutting time and costs.
- Increase efficiency with better control over vehicle movement which will reduce vehicle idling and downtime, which is a key factor to better productivity and more profit.
- Reduce costs potentially deriving from wear and tear, and skipped maintenance with automated odometer readings. Vehicle resale value is also increased when properly serviced.
- Alleviate administrative work on manual processes, tasks, paperwork, and avoid potential errors. For example, automated odometer and fuel level readings reduce labor costs, and is especially appealing for rental companies, while leasing companies can benefit from automated odometer reading to optimize maintenance scheduling and contract terms tracking.
Instant Detection of Improper Use and Fraud
With embedded vehicle tracking data, fleets can detect and eliminate wasteful and unauthorized usage of vehicles, such as driving off-route to get a bite to eat or a cup of coffee or using the vehicle during personal time. Additionally, mismatching geolocation, odometer readings, and fuel level can indicate fuel fraud.
Stolen Vehicle Recovery
Embedded vehicle tracking data provides valuable information to the authorities in case of theft. The sooner a vehicle is reported, and the relevant information has been handed to the police, the greater the likelihood is that it will be intercepted and returned. The longer it takes to track a stolen vehicle, the more likely it will be that the vehicle has been trashed, burned, or stripped down for parts. With embedded vehicle tracking data, fleets can monitor the exact location of stolen vehicles to enable quick recovery of company property.
US and EU regulations have a defined set of rules that govern drivers working hours for Heavy Goods Vehicles / Commercial Motor Vehicles. These rules govern the working hours, outline daily and fortnightly driving times, as well as, rest breaks to improve road safety by reducing driver fatigue, avoid competitive driving and ensure drivers’ good working conditions.
Embedded vehicle tracking data can help automating logbooks to provide effortless reports and ensure compliance.
Tap Into Embedded Vehicle Tracking Data to Boost Fleet Productivity
The Otonomo Vehicle Data Platform accelerates fleet productivity gains with an instant integration and a unified access, across multiple OEMs, to valuable vehicle tracking data. With Otonomo, fleets and fleet management systems can expedite time to value with a quick onboarding, unified data dictionary and speedy access to fleet data. Otonomo value-added fleet features simplify fleet connectivity with single touch regulatory compliance, simulated vehicle testing, usage statistics and more.
Test drive Otonomo to boost fleet productivity.